In order to address the problems plaguing Indian Agriculture, it is critical to redirect and augment resources devoted to agricultural research to the farming and livelihood systems of the poor rural communities. To utilize the technological breakthroughs that are already available for commercial use, the agricultural research priorities and strategies will have to be revisited and new system-wide approaches need to be developed and adopted.
The NAIP envisages to put up a coordinated effort on the following:
- Policy and technology options will be screened or tested by the end-user for applicability as well as for economic, social and environmental sustainability.
- In the applied and adaptive research projects, the end-user of innovations will be involved from the start of programme and projects and will remain partner till their completion.
- Both indigenous knowledge and frontier technologies will be used to generate the targeted products.
OVERALL OBJECTIVE OF THE NAIP
To facilitate an accelerated and sustainable transformation of the Indian agriculture so that it can support poverty alleviation and income generation through collaborative development and application of agricultural innovations by the public organizations in partnership with farmers' groups, the private sector and other stakeholders.
The specific objectives envisaged are:
- To build the critical capacity of the ICAR as a catalyzing agent for management of change in the Indian NARS (Component 1)
- To promote ‘production to consumption systems research' in priority areas/ themes to enhance productivity, nutrition, profitability, income and employment (Component 2)
- To improve livelihood security of rural people living in the selected disadvantaged regions through technology-led innovation systems, encompassing the wider process of social and economic change covering all stakeholders (Component 3)
- To build capacity to undertake basic and strategic research in frontier areas to meet challenges in technology development in the immediate and predictable future (Component 4)